Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ham and Beans




I was concerned, while making this dish, that my kids would not like it so I made it pretty brothy and turned it in to a soup (my mother's recipe was always thick and creamy). And the verdict? My kids thought it was really good soup. They did ask why there were so many beans in it! However, they ate every last bit, after the cornbread of course!


1 lb. Great Northern beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
2-3 smoked ham hocks
1/2 pkg chopped ham (I used the kind already chopped by Farmland)
2 cans chicken broth
2 can water
chopped onion
2 celery stalks
3 carrots
3 tsp minced garlic
1 TBS dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste


Combine everything in crock-pot and cook for 8-10 hours on Low. I removed celery before serving, but not carrots, just out of personal taste. Also, I removed the lid and turned the crock-pot on High for about an hour to thicken it up before serving. The adults in our house eat in with a few drops of hot sauce to spice things up a bit. And please, don't forget the cornbread!

No comments:

Post a Comment