Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cornbread Casserole



My Mom made a casserole like this when I was little and I loved it! However, I've never asked her how she made it, I just went from memory. It turned out just like I remember. We loved it (the kids needed ketchup to tone the spice down) I liked that it was quick and easy and that the ingredients can be stored in the pantry/freezer for a last minute dinner.


1 lb. HB
1 white onion, chopped
garlic powder, chili powder, salt & pepper
1 can corn, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained a little
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 TBS chili seasoning (I use Williams)
1 box Jiffy cornbread, made as directed on package

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place hamburger and onion in skillet. Season with garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook hamburger until done, approx 10 minutes. Add rest of ingredients (except cornbread) to skillet. Simmer for a few minutes. Make cornbread as directed. Place skillet ingredients in a 2 quart baking dish. Top with cornbread. Bake for 20 minutes or until cornbread is baked all the way through and golden. Let it rest for 10 minutes or however long you have. Mine set for almost 20 minutes and it was still steaming when served.

No comments:

Post a Comment