Monday, November 30, 2009

Oven Baked Chimichangas

I wanted something Mexican, but not the same-old, same-old and I came across this recipe. I was leary at first. I just couldn't imagine how they would be crispy? Well, let me tell you, they were very crispy and will be regulars at our house! I've already got ideas running through my head for the next batch and can't wait to make them again. Plus, these are so quick and easy, you can't beat that!

1 big can of chicken, drained
2/3 cup picante sauce
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 cup shredded cheese
2 green onions, chopped, tops included
4-6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
2 TBS margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix chicken, picante sauce, cheese, onions and spices together. Place about a 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture on a tortilla. Fold one end, roll the sides and then fold the other end (you may need to warm tortillas to keep them from cracking). Place seem side down on cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy. Garnish with salsa, sour cream or whatever you like.


P.S. mine didn't get very golden but were very crispy so don't judge doneness by color. Also, no need to warm the mixture first, they are steaming when they come out of the oven. Be careful biting into the chimi's. I had to cut them in a couple different places to get them cooled down for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment