Monday, July 5, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan




I hope everyone had a safe and fun Independence Day. We started celebrating Friday night and didn't stop until Monday! I had a lot of wonderful food over the weekend but nothing new to share. I haven't made many new recipes lately so I thought I'd post an old favorite that we recently had. Eggplant Parmesan is one of my favorite Italian dishes. It's my standby dish that I order frequently at restaurants. This is my favorite version of it and my entire family loves it too. I'm not sure if there is any valuable nutrients left in the eggplant after you fry it, but it still feels good that my kids love it too!



1 large eggplant or 2 small
Texas Toast brand seasoned croutons
couple shakes of basil, salt & pepper
2 eggs, beaten
olive oil or canola oil for frying
1-2 cups pasta sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella


Put 1/2 pkg of the croutons into food processor/blender and pulse until they look like breadcrumbs. Peel skin from eggplant, slice horizontally into disks. Combine basil, salt and pepper with breadcrumbs in medium bowl. Beat eggs in small bowl. Dip eggplant into egg and dredge into breadcrumbs. Fry in oil until crisp. Place in 9x13 casserole dish. Layer eggplant if needed, top with sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm and enjoy!!
Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment